For Kappa Sigmas, Bologna, Italy holds special meaning. For it was here, in "The City of Letters," that our Fraternity had its beginnings. In 1400, at the University of Bologna, Manuel Chrysoloras and his disciples formed a society for mutual protection. Their work inspired the Ritual and beliefs of a modern-day Greek-letter Fraternity -- Kappa Sigma.
The University of Bologna in the year 1400 was the center of learning in Europe. At the time of Kappa Sigma's founding in America, the University of Virginia was a centerpiece of education in the United States. On December 10, 1869, William Grigsby McCormick occupied the room at 46 East Lawn. On this chilly evening he, with four friends founded the Kappa Sigma Fraternity and planted the seed of Brotherhood.
Not only did the Founders formalize their friendship, but they also created a fraternity steeped in the traditions of the past and dedicated to the Pursuit of Learning. The new brothers recorded their bond in a Constitution and in an Oath which set forth the ideals and principles to all Kappa Sigmas today.
The Golden Hearted Virginian
Stephen Alonzo Jackson is regarded as possibly the most important man in Kappa Sigma's history. Through his efforts a struggling local fraternity became a strong national organization. He was the architect of out Ritual, writer of our Constitution, and was our first Worthy Grand Master. The following is and excerpt from the Bononia Docet, our pledge manual:
"Gentle as a woman, firm as a rock - a perfect bundle of nervous energy. His love of the Fraternity knew no bounds, and his enthusiasm was so contagious that it influenced everybody who came within his reach. His one ambition was to make Kappa Sigma the leading college fraternity of the world, and to that end he thought and worked by day and night, until the end of his busy life."
During the Fraternity's second Grand Conclave in 1878 in Richmond, Virginia, Jackson was reelected as Worthy Grand Master. In his speech, he expressed his ideal and goal of an enduring and expanding brotherhood as he addressed the Order:
"Why not, my Brothers, since we of today live and cherish the principles of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity, throw such a halo around those principles that they may be handed down as a precious heirloom to ages yet unborn? Why nor put our apples of gold in pictures of silver? May we not rest contentedly until the Star and Crescent is the pride of every college and university in the land!"
Jackson died on March 4, 1892. His legacy to the Fraternity included its Ritual, a revised Constitution, a precedent-setting Grand Conclave, the first southern Fraternity to extend a chapter to the north, and above all else, a spirit for expansion.
Today, Kappa Sigma comprises over 250 chapters and colonies in both the United States and Canada, with over 200,000 men. Kappa Sigma is the sixth largest fraternity and have approximately 150,000 brothers in North America.
History of Theta-Xi Chapter of Kappa Sigma
In 1947, a local Fraternity Chapter, known at that time as Tau Kappa Epsilon, relocated to 613 W. Pleasant Street. Over the years, this house came to be fondly called “The House On The Hill.”
In 1952, the Chapter became part of Kappa Sigma Kappa, establishing the first affiliation with a National organization.
In 1962, Kappa Sigma Kappa merged with another National Fraternity and the Chapter at Tri-State was not included, thus becoming a local organization again, retaining the Kappa Sigma Kappa name and symbols.
In 1966, the Chapter petitioned for membership in The Kappa Sigma Fraternity, and following the colonization period, 41 Charter Members received the Chapter Charter on Nov. 12, 1966.
In 1969, The Theta-Xi Chapter of Kappa Sigma sold the House On The Hill and moved to the anchor location of the new, University owned, fraternity row at 311 S. Summit Street.
After 26 years at that facility, the Chapter arranged for the purchase of 2 existing houses on 5 lots at the corner of Moss and Kinney Streets and moved to that location in 1995. After 10 years of renovations and improvements to the property, a decision was made to launch a major fundraising campaign to ultimately replace those 2 houses with a modern, new Chapter House. The fundraising and design efforts of several committees made up of dedicated alumni and undergraduate Brothers culminated on June 11, 2008 with the groundbreaking for construction of the new house.
The beautiful new Chapter House which is home to the Theta-Xi Chapter of Kappa Sigma today was completed and occupied by the first 12 resident Brothers in January of 2009.
Our Chapter Homes
|1947 – 1969
||613 W. Pleasant Street
||“The House On The Hill”
|1969 – 1995
||311 S. Summit Street
||Unit A – TSU - Fraternity Row
|1995 – 2009
||809 Moss St. & 300 S. Kinney St
||Original structures at Moss & Kinney Sts.
|2009 - The Future
||801 Moss Street
||The NEW House On The Hill
What a proud moment in our chapter history…truly anonce-in-a-lifetime event for most of us! On Saturday October 3rd at 5 pm with great pride, anticipation and excitement Actives, Alumni and guests gathered on the front porch and lawn of our newly constructed chapter house at Trine University for Dedication of the new Kappa Sigma “House on the Hill”.
Considering the logistics of communications, the sacrifices of time along with the investment of energy and resources of so many, the construction of the new house is nothing short of amazing. Great job Building and Finance Committee members and all who participated in the process!!
And as we celebrated and memorialized the completion of this project, we also commemorated and gave recognition to our lifelong bond of brotherhood. The House was dedicated in honor of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, the Theta-Xi Alumni, the Active brothers and all the young men who will follow our footsteps and be the torch-bearers of our traditions for decades to come.
In 1997 at a pivotal time in our Chapter’s history, the below listed Brothers stepped forward and loaned the fledgling House Corporation the funds needed to make a down payment on the Chapter’s current property at the corner of Moss and Kinney Streets. Since losing our lease on the University owned “Unit A” on South Summit Street two years earlier, Chapter members had been living in the two Moss Street houses during their complete renovation under a lease/ purchase option agreement with the General Contractor. Were it not for the generosity and foresight of these Brothers, to enable the Chapter to establish ownership of the Moss Street property, the New “House On The Hill” that is home to The Theta-Xi Chapter of Kappa Sigma today might not have been possible. The Order is forever in their debt.